Igboists Forum - Nigerian Online Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Announcements

Serious trouble for BUHARI as UN issues serious query to Nigerian Government over reports of brutality, human rights breaches

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Biafranpalace
Biafranpalace
Lv3: Senior Member
Time Online : 5s
My Club My Club : Liverpool

PostBiafranpalace Fri 18 Nov 2016, 9:42 am

Serious trouble for BUHARI as UN issues serious query to Nigerian Government over reports of brutality, human rights breaches Image20161118015434

IN an attempt to check the excesses of the Nigerian government over high-handedness and gross human right violations in the country, the United Nations has waded in by asking Nigeria yesterday for urgent information about a forced eviction of thousands of people from makeshift homes in Lagos state, amid reports of brutality and possible breaches of human rights laws.
Residents and a rights group said 30,000 people were forced from their bamboo homes illegally built in the city’s Lekki neighborhood, a prime site for luxury apartments despite a court order not to.
In August, the Lagos state government gave residents who lacked building permits two weeks to move out of Lekki and other upmarket districts and authorities have demolished several shanty towns that it says are home to criminal gangs, making them a security threat, as well breaching building regulations.
The U.N. special rapporteur on the right to housing, Leilani Farha, said yesterday that four people were reported to have died in the eviction and others had complained of “brutal treatment”.
“It has been brought to my attention that the evictions may have involved the extreme use of force and fire by the Nigerian police force and Lagos State government, leaving individuals and families scrambling in the middle of the night to find safety and shelter,” Farha said in a statement.
“What makes these evictions particularly concerning is that they were carried out in blatant disregard of a court order and have completely ignored international human rights guidelines on forced evictions.”
There was no immediate comment from the Federal Government or Lagos state, Reuters reported. Lagos police last week denied they had destroyed homes and said they had arrested several people for setting fire to them. “In an urgent communication, Ms. Farha has asked the Nigerian government for information on the evictions, the methods used and their compliance with international human rights law,” said the statement.
Last week Amnesty International called on Nigeria to shelve plans to demolish more illegal settlements. Slums of makeshift housing are common in the poorest parts of Lagos, a city of 23 million people, which attracts thousands of people each day in search of work from across Africa’s most populous nation and neighboring countries.
Overcrowding in Lagos looks likely to continue. U.N. estimates suggest that by 2050, Nigeria’s population, currently 180 million people will grow to 400 million, making it the world’s third most populous nation after China and India.

Venusg
Venusg
State : Edo State
My Club My Club : Liverpool

PostVenusg Fri 18 Nov 2016, 10:59 am

They shud do sometin ooo

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum